BUTTERNUT SQUASH & FENNEL GRATIN
Nutritional Value Per 1 Cup :
124 calories, 10g fat, 6.5g net carbs, 1g protein
Servings: 1 Cup
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash slices approximately 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 tsp butter to grease dish
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 oz good quality blue cheese or another cheese
- salt and pepper
Grease a 9 x 9 casserole dish or equivalent with 1 tsp butter. Layer the squash first and then the fennel, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper between each layer.
Combine the almond milk, heavy whipping cream, butter and cheese in a microwave safe dish and cook on high for 2 minutes or until mostly melted. (or melt in a saucepan)
Pour the cream mixture evenly over the vegetables.
Cover loosely with foil and bake in a 350 degree (F) oven for 60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes or until slightly browned on the top.
Let set for 10 minutes before serving.