KETO CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM
1 Slice of Cake : 208 Calories
18 grams Fat
9 Total Carbs
1 gram Fiber
8 grams Net Carbs
4.5 grams Protein
For the cake:
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup xylitol erythritol, or coconut sugar
- 1 cup whole milk or coconut milk for dairy free
- 3 cups almond flour also called almond meal, my favorite is Honeyville
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 Tb. good quality cocoa powder
- 8 Tb. 4 oz. unsalted butter melted or melted ghee or coconut oil for dairy free (I like ghee better)
- 2 tsp. vanilla
For the Ice cream:
- 2 cups canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup erythritol xylitol, or sweetener of choice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
optional ingredients for desired flavor
Make the Cake:
Preheat oven to 350.°
Line the bottom of 2 round 8" x 2"cake pans with parchment paper. The easiest way to do this is to trace around the bottom of a cake pan with a pencil on a sheet of parchment paper large enough for 2 cake pan bottoms.
Fold the paper in half so that when you cut out 1 circle, you're actually cutting out 2. Grease sides of pan and top of parchment paper with butter or coconut oil spray.
May also be made as sheet cake: grease a 9"x13" baking pan.
Dough may be mixed with a spoon, with a hand-held mixer, or a standing mixer.
Beat eggs, in a bowl large enough to hold all of the ingredients. Add xylitol and milk and combine. Add all of the other ingredients and combine well.
Divide batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for about 25-32 minutes. Cook until cake is just set. Do not overbake. Slightly underbaking is better than overbaking.
Oven temperatures and cooking times vary. The best way to test for doneness is by lightly touching the center of the cake. The cake should feel just set.
Look at the cake after about 20 minutes, when it is clearly not yet done and the center is jiggly. Check again after 3-5 minutes and you'll notice that the center is getting more set. When the center has just completely set touch it lightly. If it feels really soft let it cook a little more.
10. Check every few minutes, touching gently in the center, and remove from the oven when set but still a little soft. Notice how long this took. The next time you'll know exactly for how long to bake the cakes. Also you get the feel of it after the first time so it isn't so nerve-wracking. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
For the ice cream:
Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut milk, not lite or coconutmilk beverage. If desired, you can use the seeds from a vanilla bean instead of the extract. To make the keto ice cream: Stir together the milk, sweetener, salt, and vanilla extract. If you have an ice cream machine, simply churn according to manufacturer’s directions. Or to make it without an ice cream machine, freeze the mixture in ice cube trays, then blend the frozen cubes in a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix OR thaw them enough to then blend in a food processor or regular blender.
Eat as-is, or freeze an hour or so for a firmer texture. Due to not having any preservatives or stabilizers, the keto ice cream is best the day it’s made, but you can technically freeze leftovers up to a month and thaw before serving.
Now scoop the frozen vanilla ice cream and make a layered top on the moist chocolate cake. Take a serving and enjoy.