MEXICAN CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
9g fat (3g saturated fat),
10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber),
Calories: 186 kcal
- 1 lb ground beef (80%/20% lean)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- `1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chopped cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- Pico de gallo and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
1. In a large saucepan, cook and crumble beef with seasonings over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan.
2. In same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion and cabbage until crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in beef, chilies, water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, to allow flavors to blend, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in cilantro. If desired, top with pico de gallo and sour cream. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.