SAUSAGE STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
Calories: 153 kcal
- 1 1/4 cups quick marinara sauce
- 4 (31 oz total) medium zucchini
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4″ thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
4. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
5. Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12″ baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
6. In a large sauté pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned; set aside.
7. Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes.
8. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
9. Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly.
10. Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of parmesan cheese.
11. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.