- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3-3½ pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 240 ml red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- Chopped fresh basil for garnish
Combine salt, cinnamon, allspice, pepper and cloves in a small bowl. Rub the mixture all over beef.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
Add onion and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add wine and tomatoes (with their juice); bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits and breaking up the tomatoes. Add the mixture to the slow cooker along with carrots and turnips.
Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours.
Remove the beef from the slow cooker and slice. Serve the beef with the sauce and vegetables, garnished with basil, if desired.
Serving size: 3 oz. beef & 1 cup vegetables each
11 g fat(3 g sat)
3 g fiber
13 g carbohydrates
35 g protein